Monday, May 14, 2012

The Walking Dead

One third of Americans sleepwalk
Although only a handful of people in the United States sleepwalk every year, a new study suggests close to one-third may do it at some point in their lives.
That's actually higher than I would have guessed.  I suppose their criteria might not be as rigorous as mine (walking while in REM sleep).
This is interesting:
Participants on antidepressants known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors seemed to have a higher risk for sleepwalking, but the researchers said this could be explained by the conditions those drugs treat. Both major depression and OCD were also linked to sleepwalking.
Then again, maybe those people actually have sleep disorders and their medicine isn't helping...

I started screamwalking when I was 5.   When I was 9 they gave me an EEG, phenobarbitol and told me I'd grow out of it.   I did stop walking when I was about 13.   But by then the narcolepsy was well established...