Friday, October 5, 2012

Fascinating

The things you find when you join Medline.   (free)

Mental Decline in Older Physicians: When Do You Stop?
"Do you feel that doctors over the age of 65 should be screened for cognitive decline?" began a general practitioner.
Many, particularly those who identified as older doctors, chafed at any suggestion of testing for aging physicians. "I am appalled at the notion of cognitive testing. I do not plan to retire until I sense I am losing my touch," said one 70-year-old internist.
Hmmmm.  Righteous Indignation.
One would think a doctor would realize one of the symptoms of mental illness is an illusion of competence...
I wonder how he would feel if pilots had that kind of discretion about their reflexes.

I like this response:
"Perhaps anyone who fears being retested may really need to be."
If these people showed they understood the link between aging and progressive infection and glucose control and cognitive ability-
Then maybe we might trust their judgement on their own judgement.