Wednesday, January 14, 2015

In the Hidey Hole

My husband is on a business trip so I am obsessing and surfing my neurotransmitters.   Deep diving Pubmed.  Looking for my missing puzzle pieces.
I have copied off hundreds of abstracts in the past few days,  but  there's a couple I wanted to tell you about before I start cerebral pile management and neglect the blog some more.

Staph Aureus also causes Intestinal Permeability
These experimental findings thus support the hypothesis that free staphylococcal alpha-toxin in the bloodstream may cause intestinal epithelial barrier dysfunction and further aggravate the septic condition by promoting the release of intestinal bacteria into the underlying tissues and the blood. 
Booyah.
In addition- my cerebral slot machine finally got around to this search term combination...
And the results made me pace circles around my kitchen for an hour.
Can Nicotine Treat Sepsis?
They report that treatment with the acetylcholine receptor agonist, nicotine, modulates this system and reduces mortality in a mouse model of sepsis.
Chronic nicotine intake ameliorates sepsis‐induced multi‐organ failure in rats
Long‐term nicotine intake reduces sepsis‐induced oxidative damage and its withdrawal provokes tissue damage and delays recovery of the tissues.
Role of nicotine on cognitive and behavioral deficits in sepsis-surviving rats
These results indicate that repeated nicotine administration does not alter the survival rate in rats submitted to CLP and provide new evidence that nicotine can improve long-lasting memory impairments and anxiogenic-like responses in sepsis-surviving animals.
Sheesh.  There's a few doctors and dentists and orthodontists who owe me a sincere apology.