Thursday, August 18, 2011

Things that make me twitch

I usually try to watch recorded TV, so I don't have to see the commercials. They tend to freak me out. This place advertises on my forensic shows. They claim to be a 10 day cure for alcoholism and drug addiction. I just looked it up for the first time.

From their brochure:
Schick Shadel Hospital is a multi-disciplinary treatment for chemical dependency. Out treatment combines the usual counseling and group therapy with medically supervised and controlled aversion counter conditioning and rehabilitation interviews.

The aversion conditioning is accomplished with a degree of nausea induced by a medication presented in association with the sight, smell and taste (not ingestion) of the addictive drug. The conditioned aversion achieved in this manner provides the opportunity to be free of the craving for the addictive drug. It also breaks the conditioned responses that tend to push one towards drinking or using drugs. Permanent abstinence from addictive drugs is the goal of our treatment program.

The second relatively unique treatment approach in our multi-modal therapy involves giving a sedative medication in order to take the patient from a wide-awake state to a state of drowsiness. At this time we ask psychologically oriented questions that enable us to obtain, in a brief time, information that might otherwise require many weeks of counseling interviews. The rehabilitation interviews also allow the medical staff to monitor the level of aversion for all types of addictive drugs including alcohol.

Wow. I can't even count how many ways that program exploits their patients' symptoms.
And I didn't see any ways they alleviate them.
But I had to stop reading after the sedative part...