Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Las Vegas Debrief

Well, I did it. I left the house. And went directly into the vortex.

Christina and I met up in Vegas and hung out with the narcoleptics.
It went really well, we got a good reception and found a few people who were real interested in the diet.

First though, I would like to say that Vegas is the absolute worst venue they could have chosen.
It is carefully designed to overwhelm neurosensitive people, and not at all interested in facilitating the requirements of conducting business. It was impossible just to use the internet or even make some copies. It was extra distracting for me, because I haven't been there in 20 years and it's a completely different place. I was totally disoriented everywhere I went. I guess it was nice we could smoke inside, but I went outside anyway just to get away from all the noise.

Although it was kind of comforting being around so many folks like me, I'm sorry I couldn't attend any of the sessions and meet more people. The last time I went to a conference I ended up running to my truck and crying for half an hour. To hear the things they tell you and the things you tell about yourselves and to watch you eat cookies and fall asleep in your chairs just kills me. I would have screamed involuntarily. Pretty sure.

Christina did attend though, and seems to have made friends and influenced people. She really is an exceptional woman. Beautiful, outrageously smart, brave- and friendly too. I'm so glad we have her to help us. And that I had her to moderate my stress.
I worked the lobby and handed out literature and toys. My theory is- if you can't say anything nice- give out gifts instead. Donuts are the usual bribery tool, but that wasn't really appropriate in this situation. I chose Emergency Inflatable Brains. One of my favorite things.

It was an insane weekend, 36 hours fueled by insomnia and starvation and squealing alarms, but all in all we were even more successful than we had hoped. Both of us are just now recovering.

For those of you who are checking in after getting our brochures: Yes I really am as weird as I seem... I hope you find something helpful here anyway.

(pic coming soon)