Monday, October 1, 2012

Speaking of Raising Awareness

It's that's time of year again.
Go read Gayle Sulik's blog.

Promises of Hope. Not Cure.
“I too used to secretly look forward to October, when I would drape myself in pride with all manner of garish pink, survivor-emblemed merchandise and take my place in the Survivors circle whilst bopping out to “We Are Family” or whatever the cheesy designated anthem was for that year, at one of the many breast cancer fundraising walks.
But I’m not doing it this year or ever again. It’s just a load of bollocks and a great excuse for companies to market their products to the well-meaning consumer in the guise of “Breast Cancer Awareness” when all it really boils down to is profiteering at the expense of real people really suffering and really dying from this insidious disease.”
-Rachel Cheetham Moro,  The Cancer Culture Chronicles, Sep. 19, 2009