Friday, February 24, 2017

See the Pathology


I saw this picture on the internet yesterday and can't stop thinking about it.
This is not a sweetly sleeping baby.     This baby is in the middle of a narcoleptic sleep attack.
He has infected and swollen adenoids. He can't breathe through his nose.
And his tear ducts are clogged. That's why his eyelids and brows are swollen.
That hand under his face is to hold his mouth open and soothe the the pain in his cheeks.

He's oxygen deprived and mouth breathing because he's been laid down flat.
The resulting orexin deficiency has made his muscles slack and locked him in sleep.
Look at the furrowed brow, he's trying to move but can't.

He's already insulin resistant.   Chubby, smooth and pink...
I'm guessing somebody just fed him some cereal.

It's the stuff like this that gets me the most-  the things that everyone else thinks are cute and funny and make me feel like I've been gut punched.