Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Current Experiments

Psychodermatology

I learned a new word: It's the study of the effect of skin on mood and behavior.
I think that's a greatly underappreciated topic, and I am going to study it more.

Anyhow, this is one thing I have found that is fascinating.
The area in back of your ears still contains a lot of vestigial nerves from back in our evolution when our ancestors could move their ears around to focus on the direction of a sound.
They still seem to have an effect on your state of attention.  And that area seems to be prone to and sensitive to dehydration.
Try this- put some water on your fingers and wet the back of your ears.   The back of the cartilage and also the hairless skin of your scalp that is adjacent to it.

I find that my environmental awareness sharpens immediately.    It's fascinating.


Dental Hack

I have never had a toothbrush that really fit my tiny mouth.  Even the small heads wouldn't navigate the inside surfaces of my lower teeth.
So I cut one in half, on an angle, and now I can get every crevice.
I just used some cuticle scissors.   It took a few minutes, but was totally worth it.
I have used it a few weeks, and although I have to hold it a bit differently, I am way happier.