Saturday, April 13, 2013

Things that haunt me

Lawyer: Girl saw details online of sex assault
Fifteen-year-old Audrie Pott passed out drunk at a friend's house, woke up and concluded she had been sexually abused. In the days that followed, she was shocked to see an explicit photo of herself circulating among her classmates along with emails and text messages about the episode. And she was horrified to discover that her attackers were three of her friends, her family's lawyer says. Eight days after the party, she hanged herself.
Passing out just ain't what it used to be.  There were no cell phones or internet when I was 16.  The humiliation of the gossip nearly killed me anyway.   April Johnson was the first person in my entire high school to talk to me after three months of ostracization.  I will never forget that.  She's the reason I'm still alive.