Thursday, May 8, 2014

Money for Nothing

Many people with gluten sensitivity have not had proper tests, study says

So what? If they don't eat gluten, then what's the difference?

This is one of my major pet peeves. Doctors assuming they know better than we do.
I went to a presentation by a "celiac" doctor here a few months ago, and she said it at least 8 times- The gluten free diet is not enough, you Must have a biopsy.
Actually she required two, one before and one after gluten free. Convenient.

Why?   If you do have celiac they just tell you to go on a gluten free diet.
And if you have non celiac gluten sensitivity the biopsy will be irrelevant and you will need to try the diet anyway

If the diet DOESN"T resolve symptoms then I can understand a biopsy to see what's going on.
Testing is standard protocol because it makes money whether you are sick or not.

I do not need any test to know that gluten was making me sick. Removing gluten from my diet changed my life, reversed my rapid deterioration.
One of the hardest things I have had to do is learn to trust my experience in the face of bullshit like this.  
Giving up gluten is not easy or fun. Yet people do it voluntarily. Because the benefits outweigh the costs.
Period.