Monday, October 24, 2016

Conference Recap

Okay, I'm home.   Didn't realize how much flying would mess with my ears.   Should have, I guess...

I can't really tell you much about the conference, I didn't staff the table, as I had a wicked headache from the flights, and didn't want to snap at anyone (like the Jazz rep, heh).
I didn't attend any of the sessions, except Gina's.  There's always at least one thing in every lecture that makes me want to scream, and I didn't have a wing-man to stop me.

Gina was a shining star though.   Her whole presentation was exquisite.
She had a vendor table that was bright and inviting, and she gave out her Madcap Miss website information and greeted everyone who came through.   (And remembered most of their names!   I wish I could do that.)  By the time Sunday rolled around she had made friends with nearly everyone and convinced a ton of them to come hear her talk about Diet, even though as we know, zombies are addicted to food.   The room was full, and the 200 pamphlets she made flew off the table like they were donuts.

Her presentation was better than I ever could have imagined.  She was so confident and natural, her delightful personality made everyone feel at ease.  She told the story of her family- her mom, herself, and her son-  how they were diagnosed, how they were before gluten/carb restriction, and how they are now.   (with a sprinkling of science thrown in to convince them this is real.)  It was breathtaking.   Literal gasps and tears in the audience.   Including me, and I've lived through it with her...

It was glorious.   She definitely made an impression. The people who were there will never again be able to eat without thinking about orexin.   Cha Ching!

I did meet a couple of zombies I have only known via internet.
Gina's son Glenn, who is just freakin remarkable.  A genius with a heart of gold.
He assisted his mom with the booth and all the AV stuff too.    He's processing the video and when I get the link you can all watch it yourself.

And we went for ketogenic dinner with our friend Sarah, who started the Gluten Free PWN group on Facebook.  I have wanted to meet her and hug her for years.  I couldn't deal with social media.  She changed everything for us.  Exponentially.   I can never thank her enough.


There's really nothing in the world that gives me more anxiety than a narcolepsy conference. 
It kills me to see all the sick people and not be able to help them all personally.   I didn't want to ever attend another one.  I am much better at research and writing and helping us that way, I know that.
But I wanted to see Gina do her thing.  I knew she had what it takes to deal with scary zombies and get the message out there.
And Holy Firecracker Batman-  boy does she.  I'm so glad I was there to see it.

Another dream come true...